Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a oval bump under his teeth or bottom mouth ??

Customer Question
My dog has a oval...
My dog has a oval bump under his teeth or bottom mouth ?? His 4
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is it under his lip inside his mouth or outside on his chin?
Does the bump have any discoloration or a white top like a pimple?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
It's under the chin on the outside it's pink in color
Thank you,
Based on your description, this just sounds like a reactive focal tissue inflammation. We can see this related to a number of causes. Specifically, it can be seen with minor traumatic injury (leading to swelling or bleeding under the skin), infection (bacterial induced abscess), and with inflammatory reactions (ie from insect stings, plastic dishes).
In this case, as long as its not growing or uncomfortable for him, we'd just want to use a bit of supportive care at this stage. The first step would be to cleanse the area with a mild diluted antiseptic (ie chlorohexidine) or salt water (1tbsp to a pint warm water). This should be done a 2-3 times a day and dried thoroughly afterwards. If it were open (though you can still do so here), you could also aid healing and infection prevention with an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, etc).
Furthermore, if you suspect that he might have had an altercation with a bee or wasp, then you can consider trialling him on an anti-histamine. These can help settle allergic skin reactions from bug bites and decrease swelling. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose of 0.5mg per pound of his body weight twice daily. This can just be enough to break settle that for him. We like to keep the dose low in our pets, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Overall, based on your description, this does not sound sinister. Therefore, we'd want to use the above supportive care to try and reduce this for him. If you find it doesn't settle over the next few days, then we'd want a check with his vet so they can confirm its nature +/- dispense antibiotics or dog safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for Dream.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )