Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a 9 yr old Maltese mix-weight is 17 lbs. She urinates

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr old Maltese mix-weight is 17 lbs. She urinates when we go outside--but for the past week every 10-15 feet she runs to the grass and tried to go again--only a drop or two or nothing comes out. In the house she squats like she is going but there is nothing--she still pees normally first thing when we go out but it is like she has the urge to pee even when she doesn't have to. Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sally.
Yes, absolutely, it is time for a vet visit.
We diagnose a lot of urinary tract infections in female dogs, so she really needs to have a urinalysis performed. Most vets would also likely start some type of anti-inflammatory medication to help make her more comfortable, and maybe, some antibiotics pending results.
She is exhibiting straining because of likely cystitis (bladder wall inflammation) that is present.
Other possible concerns can include bladder stones causing inflammation, a bladder polyp or tumor.
Well worth the vet check today. Good Luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I figured as much-how can I minimize tests run by my vet-they are great people (and Davis grads)but tend to overdue the tests and I end up with a huge bill when$10 worth of antibiotics would have taken care of it-she has no history of this problem-
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Well,
Ideally, a basic blood test should be run once a year for an overall health assessment. That is any pet. But, anything....anything..they recommend, it is your choice to accept or decline.
Certainly, the urine test is strongly advised. If they recommend some blood testing as well, it will be your decision to approve.