Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is about 4 mo. Old and is a small dog. The last few

Customer Question
days she has not been...
My dog is about 4 mo. Old and is a small dog. The last few days she has not been able to hold her urine"when we take her out she dribbles several times and in the house. Can you tell me what is wrong with her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one has been dribbling urine, is having trouble holding her urine and seems to have increased frequency of urination.
The most likely cause of these symptoms is a urinary tract infection. She is a pup and her immune system isn't as strong as an adult's so we do see more infections in pups. Females have a short urethra and are as such are more likely to have urinary tract infections.
This is not something that can be treated at home as she needs prescription antibiotics.
Your veterinarian will want to examine her and check a urine sample for signs of an infection. If she has an infection a short course of antibiotics is indicated. We often use Amoxicillin in uncomplicated, first infections.
I would want to check a urinalysis when she finishes her course of antibiotics to make sure it has cleared.
Things that can predispose to infections are congenital abnormalities in the way that the urinary system is formed like a ectopic ureter (ureter that connects to the bladder or urethra in an abnormal position) or an abnormality in the bladder wall that allows bacteria a place to hide and reproduce.
There are other causes for blood in the urine and secondary infections like increased crystals in the urinary system due to metabolic abnormalities like a portosystemic shunt (abnormal liver vessel development) but these are much less common than an infection.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian