Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a 10 day old donkey, mom is healthy, that got a right

Customer Question

I have a 10 day old donkey, mom is healthy, that got a right back hoof stuck in a fence and apparently wiggled around quite a lot where the wire fencing cut into the leg above the hoof and above that bone that is right behind and at the base of the foot. We believe it was stuck in the fence several hours, trying to wrestle out of it. We discovered and released him yesterday morning. Today, he is limping and laying down a lot, I have seen him drinking from mom but I don't know how much. We have a tractor supply nearby and would like to do something.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.
I am so sorry that your 10 day old donkey was injured. This is a very concerning situation if the injury was deep enough to damage one of the joints or cut into a tendon or ligament. So the very best advice I can give you is to have this baby seen by your veterinarian as soon as possible.
If this is not possible, then you must make sure the wounds are cleaned out as thoroughly as possible.
You will need betadine solution, non stick Telfa Pads, triple antibiotic ointment, VetWrap, & a large syringe or turkey baster/bulb syringe.
Gently wash the leg with a running stream of water to remove as much dirt & debris as possible. Dilute the betadine in a clean container to the strength of tea ( the exact amount does not matter )& flush the wounds thoroughly. Dry the leg, apply the antibiotic, then the Telfa pads ( use as many as necessary ). Finally, wrap with the VetWrap making sure you incorporate the hoof & several inches above the wound. You want this snug, but not tight. I would do this at least once a day for about a week, then depending on how things are looking, you may be able to change the bandage twice a week.
If the mare was not vaccinated with tetanus toxoid during the last 6 weeks of gestation, you must administer 1500U of tetanus antitoxin to your baby donkey.
I would also start with some penicillin for infection. He will not like this, but it is just about the only antibiotic you can get without a prescription from your veterinarian. You can give him 1.5 ml per 50 pounds body weight of Procaine penicillin G in the muscle every 12 hours. I would continue this for a minimum of 3-5 days.
Again, with an injury like this in such a young animal, your veterinarian is the best resource. But if that is not possible, I hope my information will help you & the baby through this injury. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I will be more than happy to help as much as I can.
Thank you.