Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Denise; My maltess/poodle is peaing everywhere all day

Customer Question

Hi Denise;
My maltess/poodle is peaing everywhere all day long. I don't have the funds for a vet visit and have been told that Proin will help with his incontinence. Is there anyway I can order from someone? My dog is going on 12 yrs June 1 and weighs 15-17lbs. Please advise
I am ready to scream.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your problems with your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Is this a male dog? You wrote "his incontinence" so I assume he is male.
Is he urinating without knowing it, does it just run out of him when he is resting or asleep? Or does he squat or lift his leg to urinate when he does it?
Proin is used in older spayed female dogs who leak urine when they are relaxed or asleep due to diminished estrogen after spaying. If your dog is a male, and seems to be knowingly emptying his bladder, Proin will probably not help. Proin is for incontinence, for a dog that is leaking urine without knowing they are doing it, without conscious control of urination. I have tried it in a few male dogs, never with any success.
You can only get Proin with a prescription, and only a veterinarian who has seen and examined him can write a prescription. It is illegal for a veterinarian who has not examined him to write a prescription. As it says in the disclaimer, this website is for information only.
Proin can have rare but serious side effects, such as stroke. That is why it is by prescription only.
It is possible this is excessive urination, which is different from incontinence. Older dogs can have conditions where they are producing much more urine that usual, and seem to urinate all the time or even uncontrollably. Before we prescribe Proin for dogs, we rule out things like bladder infections, diabetes, or Cushing's disease that make a dog have to urinate all the time. If he has anything like this, not only will Proin not help, it could be unsafe for him to get it.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.