Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a toy Pomeranian. ever since we moved to Henderson,

Customer Question
NV she has had animal...
I have a toy Pomeranian. ever since we moved to Henderson, NV she has had animal lice, We took her to a vet and they said to bathe her everyday for 2 wks with Adams flea and tick shampoo. We did this and still hasn't gotten rid of them. I pick them off and dispose of them in a garbage bag then into the outside garbage can. What can I do to get rid of them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that your lass is being bombarded so.

Now if she isn't responding to treatment, then you may need to use some alternative treatment here. For example, if lice have been diagnosed, then you could speak to your vet about treating her with the spot on Advantage Multi as this can clear lice. As well, there are injectable treatments (ie Ivermectin) or stronger dips (ie Aludex) that could be of use here.

That said, we need to be wary and cautious with your lass. The reason is because if she is being attacked by lice and just cannot clear this, then it can be a sign that she is immunosuppressed and has a too weak an immune system to fight them off. And in that case, we'd need to have her vet fully examine her +/- check bloods to determine what is affecting her immune system and addressing that to then help her regain the strength to fight off and get rid of these mites.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian