Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate Dcon can I give it vitamin k by tablet if so how…

Customer Question
My dog ate Dcon can...
My dog ate Dcon can I give it vitamin k by tablet if so how much can I give them without harming them
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
I had 4 dogs in the house I don't know which one are the stuff when I came home the packages where all ripped open
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Because of the concentrations involved you would be best have your vet give at least an initial dose by injection. { And this would be my specific advice } 2. After that you can give it orally but make sure it is vitamin K1 only. The dosage can range from 0.25 - 5 mg per kg of your dog's bodyweight divided into 2-3 doses a day for 2-3 weeks in the case of rat poison. 3. There is no real toxic dose for vitamin K in the dog as it is a water soluble vitamin, so you can safely give large amounts without problem. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Correction ... Vitamin K is in fact a fat soluble vitamin not a water soluble vitamin as I said but there is still no toxic level for this vitamin in dogs. You can safely give very large amounts ...
Regards,
Scott
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Dcon.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?