Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 13 year old maltese has cusahings years, recently

Customer Question

my 13 year old maltese has cusahings for many years, recently took her to holistic vet..she is on trilostine 12.5 mg and all natural pills, which worked for a while, now she won't eat has many sores and is going a little out of her mind dinnertime
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The dose of trilostane - ~ 1mg/lb daily is more attune to current recommendations. My concern, however, is that any cushingoid dog that stops eating is either being overdosed or a concomitant disease process has arisen. It would be prudent to stop her trilostane at this time and have repeat biochemistries performed by her vet.
Sores representing pyoderma (bacterial infection) are common in under-treated cushingoid dogs but I'm more concerned that she's being over-treated. Can you describe these "sores" to me or, better yet, upload pics of representative skin to our conversation? Please, too, tell me more about her "crazy panting and running around before dinner". Does she appear to want to eat but then doesn't? Can you tell me more about these "holistic capsules" - the ingredients?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will try to upload pics pics..she seems nutty loke she wants to eat and walks away, io have a list of ingrediants for holistic casules I have to try to scan it it and send it to you
Thank you. A nauseated dog, perhaps. I'll watch for the pics and ingredient list.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I upload pics to you and scan ingredients for the h6 adreesol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I upload
To upload pics you can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. If you scan the ingredient list into your computer, you would then post the link as an attachment. If you need help with this, please contact***@******.***.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i post pics to your facebook page
The site won't allow me to do that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Let***@******.*** help you. It's takes a bit longer for me to receive the information but I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing and know what you've been giving her.