Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My cockapooate 1/2 of an aleeve tablet on Saturday night he

Customer Question
has thrown up twice after...
My cockapooate 1/2 of an aleeve tablet on Saturday night he has thrown up twice after eating once sunday amnd onde today
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Can you please tell me the mg of the aleve and how much your little one weighs?
How is he acting otherwise? Any diarrhea, lethargy, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass), reduced appetite, increased water intake, urination?
Thank you!
I do not know the milligrams he weighs 15 pounds he has thrown up 2 x since Saturday night
he may have 110 mg
how long do I have to wait I just need to know ihave to go to my doctors office soon
it has been ten minutes
I apologize for the delay, I was typing a response and calculating the level of concern. It would be great to have the mg because it does come in many sizes
The dose range for dogs (although this is extra label) is from 0.5 to 1.5 mg per pound (1 to 3 mg/kg) once daily. So for a 15 pound dog this is 22.5 mg daily.
The tablets are available at 250 mg, 375 mg and 500 mg tablets so even if she ingested 1/2 of a 250 mg tablet it would be five times the high end dose for her size.
The most common adverse effects are bleeding gastric ulcers and kidney problems in dogs and cats.
Since she is actively vomiting with food I would strongly urge a veterinary exam as soon as you are able to get some medications to protect her stomach if there are ulcerations (sucralfate), help with her nausea (cerenia), and do basic bloodwork to ensure her kidney function has not been affected.
In the meanwhile:
- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)
-Waiting 4-6 hours to feed again and offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, it is more imperative to get him into your veterinarian to get his stomach discomfort controlled and minimize possible gi ulceration along with reducing nausea and ensuring there is no affect on kidney function
Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinarian sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen, increased water intake, urination.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
OK
Good morning, I wanted to check in to see how your dog did overnight? Any further vomiting?
I would love an update when you are able...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian