Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is sick and I don't have the money today to take him

Customer Question
to the vet...
my dog is sick and I don't have the money today to take him to the vet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My dog collapsed yesterday evening while walking. I can not afford to take him to the vet until tomorrow evening.He has poor perfusion, lethargy, semi-labored breathing, his abdomen is tender but not distended, and he is having difficulty walking. I am a paramedic I gave him 2 Liters of normal saline over the past 14 hours I noticed he was not clearing the fluid so I gave him 40 mg of furosemide in the second liter and he is now urinating clear urine. The palor of his gums has gone from white to pink.Currently I do not hear any fluid in his lungs and his heart rate is around 100 bpm (Although I do not really know what I'm listening for with this).I am thinking this could be CHF/renal failure/diabetes ? Is there anything I can do to stabilize him until I can afford to take him to the vet.
Forgot... He is a 15 year old pitbull who other than this is in very good health and behaves like a much younger dog.
5/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. His symptoms are certainly important but they're not pathognomonic of any one disorder. If he collapsed and you noticed that his gums were white, it's reasonable to assume that he's profoundly anemic although I can't rule out a shocky state which could arise from cardiovascular diseases but also more disorders than I could list in this venue. A bleeding abdominal tumor, profound nonregenerative anemia secondary to chronic inflammatory disease processes, and even immune mediated hemolytic anemia are also considerations.
Replacing a fluid deficit is prudent but should be done slowly (slow IV or subcutaneously) in case cardiovascular disease is present. CHF invariably causes coughing and a respiratory rate exceeding 40/minute. Chronic renal failure is evidenced by a history of polydipsia, polyuria, inappetence, and cachexia. Diabetes will cause polydipsia, polyuria, and polyphagia. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. Your fluid therapy was as much as I can ask you to do at this time.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian