Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yellow lab 5years old all of a sudden will not let me examine

Customer Question

yellow lab 5years old all of a sudden will not let me examine his hind section with out getting vicious.seems tohave something going on.had him his whole life and he knows I would never hurt him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now Chevy's behavior is highly suspicious of a defensive reaction due to pain. He knows that you will not harm him, but at the moment it sounds like he is so sore that he is not keen on having you (or likely anyone) handle that area and potentially cause him more discomfort.
In regards ***** ***** for this sudden behavior regarding his back side (and his chewing), I would be very concerned about a possible impacted or infected anal gland. When these become blocked, they can be very painful. If left, they can actually rupture and cause a wound by the rectum (or at least bleeding into the colon). So, while severe itchiness from allergies or soft tissue trauma from an injury could also cause discomfort in this area, his reaction to handling really makes sore anal glands a top worry here.
With this in mind, I would advise it best to have him examined by his vet once they are open. They can safely express the glands, check to make sure nothing else is afoot, and dispense antibiotics if infection is found. Otherwise, they can get him on a dog safe pain relief (ie Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox, Metacam, +/- Tramadol). These will soothe inflammation, reduce swelling, take away his pain, and surely get you both back to a peaceful and happy relationship.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chevy. How is everything going?

nekovet