helperDVM
helperDVM, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

Thank you info regarding the chemo. We started the

Customer Question

Thank you for the info regarding the chemo. We started the first round last week, but now we are very worried about the chemo residue in his urine. He has been playing and hanging out in our backyard for his entire life, but our children (very small) play in the backyard too. We are very worried that he will pee in the yard where the kids play. Although we are trying very hard to keep him away, we had one slip up where he bolted outside. Now we are worried that the kids may come in contact with the urine. Additionally, I am nursing our infant so I am worried about that too. At this point I think we might have to stop chemo and just use predisone which will hopefully buy us another couple months with him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  helperDVM replied 2 years ago.
A couple of things. Definitely there is cause for concern about the remnants of the chemo drugs in the urine especially with an infant in the house. Although not every chemo drug has that concern. One of the things that can help is watering down the areas where he urinates in the yard immediately after he urinates. If you are not inclined to do that sometimes clinics will board pets that are on chemotherapy so that the families do not have to deal with residues in the environment. It may be worth asking your vet clinic.
If those are not feasible, putting him on prednisone to have him around as long as you can if completely a viable option as long as you and your family are ok with the potential side effects of high dose long term steroids.
Good Luck! Please rate me if you are satisfied. If not let me know how I can be of better service to you!