Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What is there a best raw meat ? Does it harm a dog

Customer Question

What is there a best raw meat for dogs? Does it harm a dog to only eat meat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
It is definitely not a well balanced diet to only feed meat. There are some dog foods that are intended as raw diets that are well balanced that you can consider as an option but the priority is making sure that all utensils and counter tops used are sterilized after each meal because there are issues with bacteria like Salmonella when feeding raw diets.
The first on this list below is a well balanced raw diet, you simply feed a certain amount of medallions or patties based on your dog's size and that way we ensure he is also getting calcium, vitamins and minerals not in the meat only diet, and it is already prepared for you.
http://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs
As far as which is best really is a matter of opinion. You can definitely rotate formulas for variation and reducing boredom but it should be a balanced meal.
If you elect to do a home made raw diet then you should investigate the recommendations of additives for this choice. My favorite resource is Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.
Good luck to you and please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog is a rescue dog and I have no idea what he was fed before I got him, but he will not eat any dry food .
So I would like to feed him as natural a diet as possible. He doesn`t beg for food and does not like snacks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I get Dr. Pitcairn`s book?
I apologize for the delay, I was taking a short lunch break.
I would consider the nature's variety diet that I listed because it is raw yet well balanced.
As for the book, it is available at most book stores but you can purchase a used copy on amazon.com at a great rate, typically under $5
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
Is there anything else I can do to assist you both?
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!