Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What should I do if my 10 year German Shepherd has deep cuts

Customer Question
& scabs around and inside...
What should I do if my 10 year German Shepherd has deep cuts & scabs around and inside her nose?
It's going for a couple of months and she leaks off any medication applied..
Her breathing is getting harder.
Thank You. Tony Z
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Hi there, thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. If you live in a very dry area you may need to get a humidifier for the house or try having the dog in the bathroom with the shower going to create steam and humidity at Least once per day for 10 min. You can also coat the affected areas in Vaseline (should stay on better). If your dog is regularly getting medications like hydroxyzine of Benadryl, then these are likely contributing to the dryness and scaliness of the nose and you may want to discontinue them if possible. If the dog is breathing hard a lot, then the nose may be drying out do to that and you may need to see a vet to determine why he is breathing hard...such as heart issues of lung issues. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Thank You, ***** ***** try both humidifier and the steam bath and hope that would help. I can't apply Vaseline because she leaks it off..
At this point I will hold off to rate without any prejudice until further results.Thank You
Ok. Best of luck. If you are not seeing any improvement you may need to see s vet . Let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi Tony,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Matty. How is everything going?

DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian