Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My little lab (90 lbs) had an issue with anal today, the vet

Customer Question

My little lab (90 lbs) had an issue with anal today, the vet expressed them (?) but tonight she is very withdrawn and I noticed she is licking her tail raw.
What can I Do. I have tramadol if I need to use something like that.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten to fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Sometimes when a dog has had it's anal glands expressed this can cause irritation, since the dog cannot get at the actual anal glands { Which are internal } then she will lick and gnaw at the nearest part of the tail and set up a moist dermatitis or hot spot as you say. This then irritates the area more and of course the dog then bothers it more, and a self perpetuation cycle sets in. The good thing is that although this is uncomfortable for your dog it will very rarely be a serious situation. What to do about it? : 2. Using Tramadol in this sort of situation is like using a steam hammer to crack a nut, but one dose may settle her down for present and give you time to do other things. A reasonable dose for Tramadol in the dog would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given each 12 hours. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my advice and read further on the subject. : LINK 3. The irritation from the anal glands will normally reduce over a 48 hour period in any case but as far as the resultant moist dermatitis goes I have known owners self treat it with 0.5% or 1% hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for four or five days { This is an over the counter product } and report success. It is also important to clip the hair from round the area once such a lesion develops before applying the cream. 4. A cone collar would be good way of stopping your dog getting at the moist dermatitis and making it worse while you treat it, you can pick one up from your vet or better pet stores. As I say what you describe is an inconvenience for your dog rather than a serious or dangerous situation but if things do not start to resolve with simple home remedies or you become further concerned then your should have your vet check your dog over again. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her tail problem.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.