Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a dog that was bit by a Pitt around the neck

Customer Question

Hi I have a dog that was bit by a Pitt bull around the neck area. We put hydrogen peroxide and a pain relief ointment. The swelling went away but now his skin hanging loose on the part where it was swollen is this normal after swelling?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
How long ago did the bite occur?
How large was the bite wound? Like puncture holes or a tear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has 3 bites with puncture holes this happened yesterday around 1pm.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Okay.
Definitely, you must get in to a vet ASAP.
Why?
Antibiotics!!!!!
Dog and cat bites and scratches carry loads of bacteria. Even if it looks like it is improving, the predisposition to forming an abscess under the skin is very high. Not worth the risk and cost of delaying antibiotic therapy. If an abscess forms, it will cost you wound care, sedation, probably penrose drain placement, and antibiotic therapy for far longer.
The hanging loose skin could be secondary to trauma to the subcutaneous tissues under the skin, abscess start to form, or even accumulation of blood under the skin from the trauma.
I would not consider it normal, but not surprised considering the location and extend of injury, and with it being located in an area where there is already loose skin.
Definitely, I would advise against a wait and see approach. I answer this type of question quite frequently, and have seen it unnecessarily costs hundreds more to fix.
Also, for pain, nothing will beat a good anti-inflammatory medication from a vet, and maybe some pain medicine as well like Tramadol.
Good Luck!