Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog in extreme discomfort within 20 min of eating, has had

Customer Question
nasty smelling breath last three...
Dog in extreme discomfort within 20 min of eating, has had nasty smelling breath last three weeks, had bad tooth removed and teeth cleaned 60 days ago, vary lathagec, 2nd time in last 10 days, 1st time not related to feeding
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bently. I'm sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
Can you please start by telling me if ...
1. Bently had full oral x-rays taken at the time of his dental work 2 months ago?
2. Bently had a full panel of blood work done a the time of his dental work 2 months ago?
Thank you.
I'll be starting on my reply in the meantime.
I see you are still offline. I'm sorry I've missed my chance to have a live chat with you, but I'll do my best to answer your question based on the information originally provided.
Two things come to mind when I read your description of what's going on with Bently...
1. There was some kind of dental problem that was missed during his procedure 2 months ago, or...
2. Bently has developed some new problem that is causing these symptoms that is entirely unrelated to the dental work done 2 months ago.
More to follow...
In regards ***** ***** first item above, it's really easy to miss something during a dental procedure, especially if the doctor/hospital doesn't have the necessary equipment and experience. In order to minimize the chances of missing a dental problem, all dentistry patients should have a full set of dental x-rays taken each time. This allows the vet to see below the gumline and find problems that would have otherwise been hidden.
If your vet didn't do this, it's possible something was overlooked. It's possible your dog could be acting this way because of a dental problem that wasn't fixed two months ago.
Also, it's the standard of care to do a panel of routine blood tests on a 10-year-old dog before any dental work is done.
If this wasn't done for Bently, it's possible he had some underlying disease process going on at the time of his dental work. If that went undiagnosed and now two months have passed, he would be much sicker, and that could explain the symptoms you are seeing.
If Bently did have bloodwork done and it was all okay, I'd be inclined to repeat it now because something has clearly changed.
You mentioned he has really bad breath. That's usually due to one of the following...
1. A serious dental disease issue (decay, abscess)
2. An oral ulcer or infection
3. A tumor in the mouth
4. A disease inside the body that produces a bad odor to the breath. That means things like liver and kidney disease.
Any one of those things could lead to the symptoms you described of pain after eating, lethargy, and bad breath.
The bot***** *****ne is that if I was Bently's vet and he started showing these symptoms, I'd want to hear about it. It's certainly not expected 60 days after a dental to have problems like this, and it may or may not be related to his dental work, but it needs to be addressed with a trip to the vet.
I hope this information helps.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian