Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My senior chihuahua has started a hacking cough and it's lasted

Customer Question
all week. It comes and...
My senior chihuahua has started a hacking cough and it's lasted all week. It comes and goes and he has coughing fits which last for minutes at a time and it seems to get worse at night. He throws up water when he drinks, but he has an appetite and seems "normal" otherwise. He hasn't been around any other dogs and/or away from home for that matter. I'm hoping it'll pass, but worried it something serious.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you today.
ANY senior-aged small-breed dog with a persistent cough, needs to be considered a potentially serious situation, as the likelihood of heart problems causing the cough, is quite high. Congestive heart failure is common in dogs matching this description, and if not identified and treated promptly, it is life threatening.
Less-serious causes of such coughing, could include Chronic Bronchitis, which also is common in senior dogs, or other issues such as lung cancer, heartworm disease, other infectious issues (viral/bacterial), etc.
What would an estimated vet visit cost to diagnose him?
Well, you're looking at a minimum of an examination and chest x-rays, so you might expect that to cost $175-250, I'd estimate.
And then treatment would be more correct?
Correct, that cost would be the "minimum" diagnostics, not including any treatment or medicine.
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian