Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Fudge is an 11 year old Standard Poodle. He's never

Customer Question

My dog Fudge is an 11 year old Standard Poodle. He's never been fixed and was bred before I adopted him about five years ago. Does castration really prevent prostrate cancer? If so, will it be good to do it for Fudge at his age and while he's still kickin?
Submitted: 2 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am afraid that there is no link between castration and reducing the risk of prostate cancer. That said, what castration does reduce is the much more common and just as worrying condition known as Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). This is where long term exposure to testosterone from the testicles leads to increased growth of the prostate. When this happens, the prostate gets bigger and compressed the colon and the urethra (the tube that urine is passed through). This leads to constipation, fecal or urinary straining, blood in the urine, and in severe cases affected animals can become blocked (due to the prostate compressing the urethra) and no longer be able to pass urine (which is fatal).
With all this in mind, I do think it is still worthwhile having Fudge castrated now. Removal of the testes will remove any cancer risk there but will also prevent prostate hyperplasia, even if it cannot prevent (the much rarer) cancer of the prostate.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fudge. How is everything going?

nekovet