DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog has has sore eye a week but I did not see anything worng with it we live

Customer Question

My dog has has sore eye for about a week but I did not see anything worng with it we live far from a town but she was just looking up at me and and it looks like she has scratch with a foggy ring around it on the color part of her eye close to the white I will not be able to make to a town tell Saturday is there anything I can do for her I hurt my eye a few weeks ago and I have anti bioptic drops because I had metal stick in my eye can I use them on her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Ideally you should have the dog seen by a vet as soon as you can. It's likely a corneal ulcer but a full eye exam can tell you exactly the extent of the issue. In the meantime....yes you can use the ointment you have IF it is neomycin , bacitracin, polymixin B (aka triple antibiotic ointment) but NOT ok to use it if it has a medication called dexamethasone in it. If you have the triple antibiotic one, apply a thin strip to the surface of the rate 2-3 times per day til you get to the vet. It us important that you still go see the vet! I hope this helps. best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I got moxifloxacin hydrochloride ? 0.5 % dose that work
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
That antibiotic is not commonly used in dogs and is not as broad spectrum but it is safe to use for now. Again....it is still very important to get to the vet as soon as you can. Best of luck.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
I hope things are going well with your dog. Please remember to rate my response if you found our chat helpful so that I receive credit. Thank you.