Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Shih Tzu 6 years old. No ongoing medical issues. Three

Customer Question
My Shih Tzu 6...
My Shih Tzu 6 years old. No ongoing medical issues.
Three days ago she stopped eating and started to have diarrhea.
We feed her dry food. She gets very small pieces off the kitchen table and a number of dog treats through the day. She did not eat anything out of the ordinary.
Yesterday she started to vomit at same time as diarrhea.
She is now going out to the back yard to poop every few hours. Same diarrhea. My wife has been wiping her but and now she yelps when she does.
She is eating very little. Wife took her to the vet yesterday and they want do a CPLI, without Urinalysis.
She normally goes poop once a day in the morning when we take her for a walk.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sophie. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. When you took her to the vet, did they do any tests at all? Did they send or give her any medication?
If you look at her gums, do they look a normal bright pink color, or do they look pale to you?
No meds. Gums are normal bright pink color. They gave us a can of wet dog food called Royal Canin (Gastrontestinal) so she some moisture and don't dehydrate. She ate some yesterday and threw up an hour later.
I am glad to hear her gums are pink; that is a good sign she is not dehydrated, and not in immediate danger.
If she were my dog, and is continuing to vomit, I would be doing Xrays, and blood tests, including the test for pancreatitis (cPL) your vet recommended.
I would try to get her to take liquids: broth, water, Pedialyte, to keep from getting dehydrated.
You could try giving her 2.5 to 4 mg of Pepcid, famotidine, to see if that helps the vomiting. I like to give vomiting dogs an injection for vomiting because she may vomit pills before they do her any good.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian