Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I think my dog has eaten Brazilian pepper tree berries. Vomiting

Customer Question

I think my dog has eaten Brazilian pepper tree berries. Vomiting poop is very loose. Not her usual self. Isn't eating..tried to give her rice and limited her water intake. Just lying around. Gums are red not white
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
While this plant is not highly toxic, ingestion can cause mild dermatitis (irritated skin), and moderate digestive tract signs (vomit/diarrhea/loss of appetite) depending on how much was ingested. If she develops marked vomit/diarrhea or the lack of appetite is worsening, then I highly recommend have her seen by her veterinarian. Our therapy for this is symptomatic which means we just treat whatever signs occur.
However, could she have eaten anything else? If she seems to be worsening with progression of lethargy and distress over her vomiting/diarreha then I would highly recommend you take her in to be treated tonight rather than wait until tomorrow. Perhaps, she ate something other than this berry. As well, if she ate a lot then her level of distress may be high and this really may need injectable medication and fluid therapy to help her feel better.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.