brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

All of a sudden my 9year old cairn terrior is un able to jump

Customer Question

all of a sudden my 9year old cairn terrior is un able to jump on couch and the bed and has trouble getting thru the doggie door ,,,,,,panting alot iam very worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
From your description, Monty sounds very uncomfortable. I'm worried that this might indicate a herniated disk in his neck or spine. This condition (IVDD - intervertebral disk disease) is not uncommon in small breed dogs.
Sometimes a trauma is witnessed (often jumping or falling off a piece of furniture), but often it is not. Dogs are generally lethargic and unwilling to move because of the pain.
I highly recommend having him evaluated by a local emergency hospital tonight. I would start with a physical exam and x-rays to rule out any other causes of pain. Then we can begin a targeted treatment plan of anti-inflammatories, pain medication, and possibly muscle relaxants as needed.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.