Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 4 year old Doubledoodle (1/2 golden doodle 1/2labradoodle). He is approx 25lbs. W

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Doubledoodle (1/2 golden doodle 1/2labradoodle). He is approx 25lbs. We noticed on Saturday that he has a lump on the side of his neck just smaller than a golf ball. He is pet constantly so I think that the lump is very recent. It doesn't seem to hurt him when it is touched. I had already decided that I would take him to our vet on Monday. Late this afternoon we noticed that he was closing both eyes quite a bit. It looks like he is falling asleep standing up. This has been going on all night. Besides that he is acting perfectly normal. Now I am really concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me; I'll do my best to help you today.
I can understand your concern about Fenway; while I'm not absolutely certain that the two things which are worrying you are connected, I suppose they could be (which I'll explain below).
Let me address this lump that you've found first.
The various possibilities for a mass which suddenly appears will be:
1. An abscess
2. A seroma which is a serum filled space
3. A hematoma which is a blood filled space
The latter two can develop after trauma
4. If the lump is to the side of his throat, then he could have an enlarged lymph node.
It is often not possible to determine what a lump or bump might be based on feel or visualization alone. Usually cells need to be aspirated and examined under a microscope or sent off to a pathologist for review if it's uncertain as to what the lump might be (in other words, it's not pus, serum or blood filled).
As to his eye issues, dogs who keep their eyes closed typically do so secondary to pain or discomfort. It would be fairly unusual for him to be experiencing a scratch or laceration to them both although I suppose this is possible.
Dogs with uveitis (inflammation of structures in the eyes) will often keep their eyes closed. As to the underlying causes of uveitis, well, there's a fairly long list including Idiopathic (we can't find a reason which is the most common explanation) but trauma to the head is another possibility.
Dogs with light sensitivity can also keep their eyes closed but they typically do so only when they go outside and the sun is out; this isn't likely to be his problem but I mention it to be complete.
If he's not vomiting and not currently taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mg per pounds of body weight, with food to avoid stomach upset. The dose for a 25 pound dog would be 1/2 of a full strength, 325 mg tablet at one time.
The anti-pain as well as anti-inflammatory properties of this drug may be of benefit until you can have him seen tomorrow.
I hope this helps to provide at least a measure of reassurance about him. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up about Fenway. What were the results of your vet visit today? Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fenway. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb