Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 10 year old golden retriever female. Just recently

Customer Question
she has not been able...
I have a 10 year old golden retriever female. Just recently she has not been able to hold her pee untill we get to our usual spot out side. . She pees and then tries to pee again after a few steps but a few drops of blood comes out. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that Eggs is having issues with urination and it has blood in it.
There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:
1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind
Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.
Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.
Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms
Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly
Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am on-line another 45 minutes to assist you with any additional questions or concerns...
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
I apologize, I have a note that you responded but see no additional questions or comments. Can I assist with anything else today?
Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian