Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just gv my 20 pound dog 5mg of Imodium AD pls help

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Please help
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Immodium AD { Loperamide } is frequently used in the dog, but a reasonable dose rate would be also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds bodyweight. So the 5 mg you gave is an overdose. 2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 3. While there can be no guarantees via the internet I would say if you do not manage to induce vomiting then this would be unlikely to be a fatal incident but expected side effects such as constipation, CNS depression, or slowed heart or respiratory rates would be very uncomfortable for your dog. so if you do not manage to quickly induce vomiting it may be best to take your dog to an ER vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
It took so long I wound up calling poison control. I gv him 5ml of children's imodium so he will be fine.
Hello again,
Good it was the low dose version, he should be just fine...
Regards, *****
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Imodium.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian