Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a ten year old shepherd and he has been a perfect friend

Customer Question
he if very obedient until...
I have a ten year old shepherd and he has been a perfect friend he if very obedient until now all of a sudden he has become easily frightened. First he'd jump up and run out of room and upstairs like something scared him and would refuse to come down and it happens different times of day and night. Now recently when he's out side as we start to go inside he freaks out and runs to dog house I literally have to get leash and pull him inside. Sometimes he's literally shaking I feel so bad for him I've searched and searched the house and can find anything that would up set him make a noise nothing. I also have a second dog and he's not bothered by what ever the other dog is. Roc has always been a great dog does what he supposed to do even if he didn't want to but what ever the problem is he is totally afraid and I don't know what to do for him I hate seeing him like this any advice
Thanks
Beckt
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that Roc is having problems. This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get him over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Roc realizes that these fears will not hurt him. To do this, first avoid these while making your dog comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, he is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective. If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take Roc to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose him to the things he fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx.....You will have to click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roc. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian