Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 5 yr old GSD has started to tire very easily over the last

Customer Question

My 5 yr old GSD has started to tire very easily over the last 6-8 weeks. She has breath that stinks like a dead skunk. Some vomiting, but only 3-5 times.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Has Willow had any coughing or nasal discharge?
Does she have any tarter on her teeth?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Since she has had vomiting, what did she bring up?
Has she been eating normally?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
*No coughing or nasal issues.
*Very little tarter.
*Her gums do seem a little bit pale. But I'm not exactly sure of what is normal coloration.
*The vomit has been undigested dry food.
*For the most part her eating seems normal.
*She could have eaten something, we are renovating our house and there's lots of unusual people& objects around.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now the reason for my range of questions is because Willow is showing some signs that can potentially be linked to a range of conditions. Now you didn't report a respiratory rate, so if you could that would be grand. The reason I ask is because if her gums are pale (they should as pink as our own) and she is tiring; then it is possible to have issues likely pneumonia cause signs of this nature. And if this were present, then it could also be the cause of her bad breath (since bacterial infections in the lungs can lead to halitosis).
Otherwise, if respiratory issues can be ruled out, then our concerns would turn to her GI. In this case, the tiring could be due to infection induced lethargy or could be related to discomfort if she has eaten something she should not have. And if we have infection or a possible gut trauma/ulcer from ingestion of something harmful; these too could affect her breath.
With all this in mind, I do have a few more questions based on what you have told me:
Since we have possibly paling of her gums, can you tell me if she has had any black or dark stools?
How often is she passing stool? And straining?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing or discomfort?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took her to the AFTER HRS vet today. They ran blood test & Xray her. The vet has no idea. Her heart rate is normal. Her stool has been normal too. When the vet pressed her belly she said she seems like there is a little bit of a tendency for her to be sensitive and possibly a little bit of a enlarged gut. That's why she did the xrays. But nothing showed up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
Since you did take her to see the local ER vet, please let me know if you wish to discuss her further or if you would prefer me to send you back to customer service for a refund.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, so I took her to another vet for a second opinion. Same story, they examined her & ran blood, looked at the xrays and can't come up with a diagnosis. They are saying maybe I should bring her to L.S.U. for a MRI. It's a two hour drive one way and will cost me appx 2000.00 that I don't have to spend right now. I can get the money, just guessing though, that if they are able to diagnose her the 2k will be just the beginning as I'm sure that whatever it is won't be cheap to treat. I have already spent 700.00 on the two vet trips.