Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My basset hound ate a huggies lil movers desposable diaper

Customer Question

My basset hound ate a huggies lil movers desposable diaper yesterday around 5pm. Or later. Around 9 we found him stiff and standing not wanting to come in from outside. We picked him up (he yiped) and moved him to the couch inside. Since then he has been sluggish this morning (6:30am) if you pushed around on the right side of his stomach he would bark really loud. He will drink water, but will not touch food, we even tried tempting him with canned food. Our vet said they could do X-rays and such and possibly surgery but he is 11-12 and is old. Was wondering if you had any ideas on "home remedies" to try and pass the diaper along that we could try first.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
This is obviously a really touch situation since it does sound as if he might be obstructed from the diaper he ate.
I'm not absolutely certain if laxatives will be helpful but it might be something to consider. The following are what I'd suggest:
1. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix); 1-4 tsp daily in food for small dogs. Squash can be substituted for pumpkin.
3. Miralax 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily
4. Raw bran flakes (wheat bran, not the cereal) at a dose of ¼-1/2 tsp daily
5. Psyllium (Metamucil®): Doses vary but typically a suggest 1 teaspoon (tsp) of metamucil per 10 pounds of body weight per feeding mixed with food once or twice a day.
I'll be honest and say that I've not been universally successful in getting laxatives to work in this type of situation but they shouldn't be harmful which is the most important thing.
I hope this helps and that you are successful in getting him to pass the diaper (if that's his problem). Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cosmo. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb