Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My 19 year old chihuahua has not eaten solids in the last

Customer Question

my 19 year old chihuahua has not eaten solids in the last 2 days. vomiting small amounts of yellow fluids and struggles walking. Lost llots of weight. Just like to cuddles and look at me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that your beloved friend is having issues with vomiting, weakness and weight loss. Is she holding anything down? Has she had any recent bloodwork that can rule out some causes of these symptoms in a senior friend?
I can give you some basic guidelines for her but if she is not improving I would strongly urge a veterinary exam with her age, progression of signs in such a short time, and her size (which unfortunately increases the speed of her decline versus another larger dog). They can give injectable medication to bypass the gi tract and control her nausea as well as fluids to rehydrate her from the vomiting episodes.
1- Please place a small amount (finger tip only) of karo syrup along her gumline to maintain glucose or sugar levels because little dogs have a tendency to have issues maintaining their sugar levels. Not enough to swallow but to rub on the gumline and absorb directly. In addition, keep her indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode
2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours
3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/8 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/8 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)
4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.
Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.
I hope this information makes sense but please don't hesitate to ask any additional questions if I can assist you further
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am going to be away from my computer for a few hours but will check back in this evening to see if you have reviewed my responses and have any additional questions I can assist with.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!