Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My vet suggested giving my great dane 12 CCs of aloe vera juice

Customer Question

My vet suggested giving my great dane 12 CCs of aloe vera juice twice a day along with amoxicillan for a UTI. She vomited several times last night and this morning. Im trying to find out if the aloe juice is causing this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now aloe vera juice doesn't often cause GI upset in our dogs. It is possible that your lass may be more sensitive to it then others, but I would be more suspicious that her nausea is related to the Amoxicillin. This is because nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are much more common side effects of this antibiotic.

In this situation, I would advise that you can choose to give her a 24 hour break from the aloe vera juice to rule it out. But if you find that her nausea continues and the antibiotic likely our suspect, then we'd need to consider pre-treating her with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose Here ) or Zantac (More Info/Dose Here)) to offset that nausea or speaking to her vet about trying an alternative antibiotic that may be easier on her stomach.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )