Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 y/o female maltese has thinning of her

Customer Question
.my 3 y/o female maltese...
.my 3 y/o female maltese has thinning of her wool no skin irritation but she does have discolour on her nose
at times could it be hormonal regards Maxine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I"m sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Maxine The most common of the hormonal disorders that causes skin changes is hypothyroidism. This isn't commonly found in a 3 year old, however, but is easily checked with a T4 (total thyroid) blood test.
Where is her haircoat thinning, please? Is she pruritic (itchy) as evidenced by licking or scratching herself? Discoloration of her nose is a nonspecific change. Can you upload photos of her to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box or an external app such as imgur.com.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian