Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a hard, callus-like lump on his back foot, about half an inch in circumference.

Customer Question

My dog has a hard, callus-like lump on his back foot, about half an inch in circumference. However it's not in a pressure point area. It's more on the side of his foot. He recently started licking it and it has opened up, become very raw, and started bleeding just a tiny bit. Should I take him to the vet? He had another callus on his elbow that has done the same thing, and I was given mupirocin ointment for it. Would that be suitable for it?
He is a 2 year old dalmatian mix who has very mild allergies but is otherwise healthy, ideal weight, neutered, and up to date on shots.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present?

Are you seeing any redness around the callus?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web address here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The callus itself has been on his foot about 8 months now. He has been to his vet for regular checkups and his vet has never been concerned with it. Just in the past 4 days he has started licking it, and it has become red and raw. There is some redness but it's strictly right at the callus.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Betsy,

As opposed to a pressure point callus, Bentley's lesion looks more suspicious of a lick granuloma with thickening of the skin. Dogs can develop these in response to being over attentive to the skin. Often it starts as some mild irritation (ie caught on something, scar from previous skin trauma, abraded tissue, allergy, etc) but as the dog licks they cause the lesion to become thickened and then raw.

In this situation, we'd not be overly worried here.We'd just want to keep it clean with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine or even salt water --1tbsp to a pint warm water). This will just reduce the bacterial population being embedding into the tissues via his saliva. Further to this, after drying the skin thoroughly, you can apply topical the Mupirocin ointment or even use a triple antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) to reduce the irritation, inflammation, and likely brewing infection (which could be partly why its irritating him and he is bothering it more).

Further to that and key in these situations, we need to stop him licking the area. Where you and I know better then to continually mess with a sore, dogs can be their own worst enemy. By licking and chewing the area, he will just make it even more raw. Therefore, he may need to wear an e-collar while this is healing or even a long sleeved shirt. Both will just help protect the area while it heals and keep him from further self-trauma and prevention of healing.

Overall, this looks to be an active lick granuloma for Bentley. In these cases, we wouldn't be overly worried but would want to prevent self-trauma while using topical supportive care. While doing so, we do want to monitor him in general. If you think his allergies are flaring up (a possible trigger for this), then you may want to start him on antihistamine (ie Benadryl) to just rule that out for him. Otherwise, if you find he is very irritated or not settling over the week, then we'd want to consider a check up to make sure there is nothing else triggering this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )