How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20612
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog had to have multiple xrays done. He was anxious so he

Customer Question

My dog had to have multiple xrays done. He was anxious so he was given a sedative administered through a shot. He was still too active so he was put out during the procedure, he then was given another shot to wake him up from anethstisia. It has been a week, and he began vomiting today. He is now vomiting when he drinks water,it is past the bile stage and is mucus with some brown green . is this bile, and could the medications administered a week ago be the reason for vomiting now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. It is unlikely that the medications used during Dogii's xray are having any affect on him now. In fact, they would have been flushed from his body by his kidneys/liver within the first 24-48 hours after the xray.
Instead, we'd be more concerned about potential bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, or secondary to ingestion of toxins and foreign bodies (the last two hopefully being less likely here). Now if he cannot even keep water down and is having mucusy greenish vomit (which is likely bile but could also be grass if he has had any), then we are being faced with a major challenge. The reason is because nausea severe enough to cause them to vomit water, often needs injectable anti-vomiting medication to initially settle their stomachs. That said, at this point you can start trying to settle his stomach by resting it. To do so, you will want to withhold food for the few hours. He should have access to water at all times, but since he is so nauseous we only want to offer small amounts (giving hourly small sips or ice cubes) since over drinking can induce vomiting as well. If we can get him a wee bit more settled after that, you can address his nausea with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ course, this medication of course shouldn't be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications that you haven't mentioned. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset gut signs. Be aware that if he is still too nauseous to keep this down after resting his stomach, then he will likely need injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet to settle his severe nausea. If you rest his stomach, give an antacid, and he feels up to it, you can then offer a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, (ie Hill's I/D or Royal Canin's sensitivity). You want to offer a small amount (a spoonful to start) and if he keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Since he is small, vomiting profusely, cannot keep water down, and there is a risk of dehydration making him feel worse, we do want to check his hydration now. When checking a pet's hydration status, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE ( If he is showing those dehydration signs at this point, that is another sign to have him to the vet since oral rehydration can be difficult if they are vomiting. Overall, it does sound like your lad is suffering with severe nausea We would not expect this to be related to anything that happened last week with his xrays or any medication they gave then. Instead, that is all likely to be unrelated in this case. That aside, at this point we'd want to take the above approach but monitor his hydration and ability to keep water down closely. If you rest his stomach and then try the above but he is still too nauseous to keep water or the antacid down, then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can examine him, check his hydration, rule out any sinister lumps or things that shouldn't be in his stomach. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication by injection to settle that severe GI upset and get him back on track. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )