Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 4 year old female pug. The last couple of days she

Customer Question
had mucus in her stool...
I have a 4 year old female pug. The last couple of days she had mucus in her stool. The last bowel movement she had this morning was completely cased in clear mucus. No blood noted. The actual stool was semi firm and brown. She has been eating as usual with no vomiting. No diet changes. I feed her Blue dry lamb and brown rice with canned Blue used as a topper. She never leaves out yard and has not been exposed to any other dogs. She is her perky self, as perky as a pug can be that is. I have heard her stomach growl and she has passed more gas than usual the last couple of days also. She becomes stressed with a lot of activity and we have been having construction workers around our home lately. There have been no poisons accessible to her. We don't keep anything like on our property. I know that this is not the most pleasant subject but I appreciate your opinion. I went ahead a gave her a large tablespoon of plain yogurt with her breakfast this morning. Thank-you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
1- Any pre existing medical conditions? 2- Is she on any medications?

No she has no known health issues and takes no medications.

Hello?Smile

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response; I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, when there is mucus in the stool or the patient is having bowel movements with mucus this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (colitis). This can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and a fecal analysis.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian