Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pit won't eat lays around won't move till I take her

Customer Question
My pit bull won't eat...
My pit bull won't eat lays around won't move till I take her outside she will eat grass and drink water she has diarrhea it's real dark. She acts like it hurts all over she is breathing really heavy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has she been like this?Are her stools black?Has she been vomiting?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?Since you noted heavy breathing, can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds and then multiply that number by 6)?
This would be day 3. They r not black. She is not vomiting. Her gums r pal and moist. When I push on her belly she doesn't do nothing. We keep everything put up my other pit runs with her and he is fine Her breathing Is 48
Thank you, ***** ***** your concerned about your lass. In her situation, I have to say that I am quite worried about her refusal to eat, discomfort, her dark feces and especially her pale gums. The reason that the last 2 signs are so serious is because together they raise concerns that she may have an active bleed in the upper region of the gastrointestinal tract (ie stomach or upper GI). The reason why the blood discolors the feces is due to the body digesting the blood as it passes down the intestine. And when lost from circulation, this will lead to a loss of that normal pink gum color. In regards ***** ***** for upper GI bleeds, the most common causes are stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion, adverse reaction to some medications, and stomach or intestinal tumors. And it is worth noting that all of these issues would cause a range of signs (ie vomiting, nausea, grass eating, anorexia, lethargy, belly discomfort, pain, increased breathing rates due to pain, and that worrying dark feces). With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping your gal (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate the stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet urgently. They can help diagnose what is triggering her signs and get her onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-nausea medication to help us get her eating again (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself). Furthermore, they can fully examine her to ensure there is nothing else afoot putting her off her food that could have caused this as a secondary issue.If you cannot get her to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. These are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours. Of course, if she cannot even keep this down then injectable anti-nausea and ulcer medication would be needed.Overall, I am quite concerned about the signs you are seeing . They raise worries that she has an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer or possibly something worse. Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid now and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or further paling of her gums).In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Hi Sandi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shine. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian