Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Just got puppy not eating but drinking water and peeling had

Customer Question

Just got puppy not eating but drinking water and peeling had diahrea but has nt since this morning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years. A young puppy that is not eating and having diarrhea could have anything from simple stomach upset from the stress of an enviornment to something more serious or even life threatening like Parvo. Can you tell me how old he is... how many weeks? Has he had any vaccines yet? How low have you had him? Is he lethargic or will he play like a puppy should?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We got him Thursday he had his shots are yesterday he is 3 months old not really playing but gets up wags tail and Lays back down
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
3 months of age is the age where maternal immunity (the resistance to disease they get from their mom) is waning so they are a bit more prone to get sick at this age. I'm glad he's been vaccinated, although it is not 100%, it does make serious infections like parvo less likely. The vaccines he received yesterday could also be making him under the weather.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Ideally, I would like to have him to a veterinarian as soon as possible to run a fecal sample and see if he has any parasites... I would be particularly concerned about coccidia which can cause diarrhea and make them feel under the weather. The question is, is it an emergency or can it wait. That depends on a few things... if he is drinking water well and holding it down then he is probably not getting dehydrated. Try offering him some plain chicken breast and getting him to eat. If he drinks and eats a little then it can probably wait. If he is not drinking, has bloody diarrhea, is very lethargic, or is vomiting then I would take him in ASAP. Other things you can do besides tempting him with bland, but appealing foods such as chicken, is try some probiotics for the diarrhea. You can pick up a probiotic at the pet store or use plain, active culture yoghurt. I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ty he isn't vomiting at all drinking water getting more color In his gums will try chicken thanks so much eased alittle bit appreciate it wasn't sure if emergency but will keep eye on him
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
I hope he feels better!