Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I took my dog to the vet yesterday because she was not her normal self and had trown up mu

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet yesterday because she was not her normal self and had trown up mucas twice. She also will not eat. He thought she had allergies at first and said her lungs sounded good. He then did blood work and her white blood cell count was either 36,000 or 46,000.(I was getting upset but think he said 46,000.) he then did xrays. Her temp was 101.8. He came in with the xrays and the lungs were so black you couldn't see the heart. He seemed astounded himself. He said he honestly didn't know what it was but said it was one of three things. Cancer, phenmonia or she passed a blood clot and her body was trying to get rid of the material. He put her on antibiotics so we can see if it is an infection. She is collie and chow and her weight is 73 pounds. Her illness cam on very quick. I spend a lot of time with her and this was not a gradual thing. She is urinating but not having bowel movements. He said that is because she is not eating. The only thing she will eat is the antibitic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like she has pleural effusion... This is fluid that occurs in the chest in the space around the lungs, but not actually in the lung itself. Your veterinarian is right... the most likely causes include infection and cancer, but it could also be a bleeding problem, or even some forms of heart disease. The very high white blood cell count is very suggestive of either cancer or infection however.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
If this is an infection it may be treatable, but often antibiotics don't penetrate into that area well and sometimes the infection is resistant to the antibiotics that you are using. Oral antibiotic alone rarely work for an infection in that area. Ideally, you need to get a sample of the fluid. This is not usually a hard thing to do. If your veterinarian has an ultrasound they can visualize the fluid and then tap it with a needle. The fluid can then be sent to the lab to test for any cancer cells and to culture and see what bacterial are in there. Is that something that your veterinarian recommended?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Chest taps and fluid analysis are a little expensive, but they give you a lot of information so that you can make the best decisions for treatment. Whether this is cancer or infection, it doesn't surprise me that your dog is not eating... it will frequently cause them to feel too sick to eat. As long as she is drinking I wouldn't worry about her lack of eating for a few days at least. However, I would also recommend doing the chest taps as well as hospitalizing her with for IV antibiotics while you wait for results. I have not seen many dogs improve on oral antibiotics alone... one cat once, but no dog that I recall. I hope that I answered your questions, but please let me know if you have additional questions. Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it was an infection, wouldn't she have fever?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Usually, yes, but not always...
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Safra. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy