Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Yorkshire Terrior (18 lbs.) ate one pork rib bone

Customer Question

Hello, my Yorkshire Terrior (18 lbs.) ate one pork rib bone last night & is vomiting bile with blood in it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am quite concerned about Dylan. Can you tell me if he is profusely vomiting?Can he keep water down?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His gums are pink & seem moist, when I pressed on his belly he did not react in any way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He vomited twice, not very large amounts & is not vomiting now. He fell asleep while I was messaging you & seemed to be breathing normal, no more vomiting at this time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, I am very glad that he isn't showing those more worrying signs. In that case, can you tell me: When did he last vomit?And how much blood was there (just a few speckles or a spoonful, more, less)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He vomited about 30 minutes ago. There was a circle of vomit about 3 inches in diameter with a ring of blood around the outer edge I guess about a teaspoon full . This happened twice in approximately a 2 min. Period. He now seems fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Behaving normal, he just jumped up on couch & is laying resting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again, In that case, we need to monitor him closely and tread with great care. The worry here is that if we are seeing a significant amout of blood, it may mean that the bone has a sharp edge and has damaged the throat or gut. And if that is the case, there is always a risk that it could cause more harm as it moves through the GI (as well as a blockage risk) which could potentially be fatal or require extensive emergency surgery. So, that is a concern even if he is comfortable at the moment. Now if the appearance of significant fresh blood was this recent, there is a chance that the bone is still in his stomach. And if that is the case, I do just want to note that there may be a chance this could be removed via endoscopy. This is where a vet passes a scope with a camera into the stomach to visualize and then remove the bone up through the throat in a controlled manner and gets it out without surgery. So, that may be an option and something to consider here if you think that bone was large relative to him or if there was quite a bit of blood and a sharp edge is likely. Furthermore, since we cannot see what the bone is doing but have clear signs of harm, I have to warn you and say that having a check with his vet +/- xray would be the best point of call in causes with bones and blood. Otherwise, if your vet is not open just now and you cannot get him seen at this stage, I would note some steps we can try some steps to see if we can settle his stomach and get this bone moving as safely as possible for him. Of course, if he becomes distressed or sore, we'd need him to the ER vet urgently.In regards ***** ***** options you can choose to try, you can try administering a "Vaseline sandwich" to your lad. This will sound odd but can be helpful as the bread will coat and push the bone to try any getting it moving through the GI without issue and the Vaseline will help it slide through and hopefully reduce the damage risk. To make this, just take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with Vaseline (as if you were buttering it) and cover with a second slice. Feed it to him piece by piece to avoid a mess. Following this you can keep things moving by adding a spoonful of canned or your cooked pumpkin to a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg) for the next few days to help bulk up his feces and push it through.As well, to offset his nausea and intermittent vomiting, you can try an antacid at this stage. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly that you can use. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you have not noted.Finally, while doing this we do want to monitor him closely for any complications or adverse signs. We want Dylan to stay just as he is right now --feeling well, jumping, and moving comfortably. Still we need to watch out for any signs of continued vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, belly pain, excessive panting, paling gums, more blood in vomit/feces, straining to pass feces, or a darkening of his feces. If we see any of these signs, then that would be a cue to get him to the vet immediately for an examination +/- xray.Overall, bone ingestion is a real worry since it can lacerate the gut and be potentially be fatal. Therefore, we have to be very careful here. Even though you didn't think he was painful in his belly and he is comfortable at the moment, I am concerned that this bone is causing trouble here. Therefore, ideally it'd be best to have him urgently to your vet for evaluation and treatment. Otherwise, if this is not possible, you can choose to take the above steps while monitoring him carefully. Any hint of the above signs and we need get his vet involved urgently to make sure this doesn't cause him any severe harm. But hopefully, we can settle his stomach and help him pass this without harm.In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.Please take care,Dr. B.