Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 year old female boxer had had neck swelling days. She is ea

Customer Question
My 4 year old female...
My 4 year old female boxer had had neck swelling for 2 days. She is eating, drinking, urinating, having bowel movements, sleeping and breathing normal. She's close to the same level of active, but we have kept her inside. Her ears have been pinned back and her eyes look a little bothered. We are thinking she might have a fox tail stuck in her throat or neck maybe since she's coughing here and there and since that's the site of the swelling. Maybe the throat since there's no wound on the outside. We had a similar situation years ago with another dog and he had to have a huge surgery. Is there something I can do to alleviate the swelling so maybe if it is a foxtail, it can work it's way down or she can cough it up? We have some expired predisone or maybe there's something more natural I can do? We have given her some Deramaxx. It doesn't seem to have helped very much, maybe slightly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 2 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
I am Dr. Emily and I'd like to assist with your question today. I was wondering if you could describe this swelling a bit more. Is it localized to one area on her neck or is it the entire circumference of the neck that is larger? I see there is no wound site in your statement, but is there a site that has the appearance of being raised, softer, warm or red?

We took her to the vet hospital this morning and they ruled out a foxtail instantly. After looking at pictures online I'd say it's more of a neck tightness and the swelling is under the jaw, equal on both sides. The vet hospital says it looks to be classic tetanus, which they said is also super rare. They are keeping her inpatient for 5-7 days to treat her.

Oh my. Tetanus is extremely rare. I hope that she recovers well. Is she at a 24 hour facility? Do you have any questions about any information that they went over with you?
How are things going at this time?
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian