jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a 3 yr old male chow and is needing a female mate like

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old male chow and is needing a female mate like him. He is mostly white and cream and loves his family, but he doesn't like other people around us. He has not bitten anyone, but we keep him on an extra long leash so that he can go the length of our home and then some. He's a sweetie, but it's time for us to mate him. He has his papers where we bought him. He is from a long line of chows (very proud Momma, wouldn't you say? ha ha). My question is: How and where would I go about finding a suitable female that he can make beautiful babies, just like him? Please, could you give me any hints. It's 7:54 a.m. I've sat up all night trying to find answers on the web. Please help! God Bless You if you! My name is*****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. If he is a purebred, then all his ancestors are chows. I am assuming you meant he has an impressive pedigree and perhaps champions in his lines. The problem you are going to have is that most reputable people who are breeding their female are going to be looking for a male who has had health clearances done such as his hips certified, eye and heart certification as well as any specific issues known to be problems in the individual breed. You can read about these clearances here:http://www.offa.org/ If these have been done, then contacting a breed specific club in your general area should help you connect with potential owners of a female that are willing to mate with your dog. Most do want health clearances and a title or at least a dog working on his title by being shown. If you don't have health clearances and a title or show experience with him, the most likely place you might find him a purebred mate is by putting an ad in your local newspaper or on social media. Some craigslists do allow stud service ads just not the same of puppies. That said, most reputable breeders are mating their dogs to improve the breed so the male that is sought out is the one that best embodies the breed characteristics. They likely won't want a dog that is displaying aggression either, so you may want to work on his obedience training until you find a suitable mate. I wished I had better news for you, but most breeders are responsible and want the best stud they can get which is usually a titled dog. Let me send this and stop the timer. I will reply some more.
You may find a person wanting to breed their female with your male, but I hope you will ensure that the owner has homes already lined up for the pups. The best situation would be to go ahead and have him neutered. He will likely be less aggressive and a calmer dog in the long run. Dogs don't mate for pleasure, so you really are not depriving him of a vital part of his life. A large majority of dogs are never mated. I mentioned obedience training so let me give you information on that. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you may still have ..