Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog developed small blister type bumps on his snout. I

Customer Question
My dog developed small blister...
My dog developed small blister type bumps on his snout. I am wondering what it is. They appeared yesterday and seem to be spreading.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience.Do your fellow's lesions look like the pup's in these links?1) http://www.boxerforums.com/attachments/health-concerns/18942d1322169556-bumps-around-eyes-hives-img_0105-1-.jpg2) http://www.boxerforums.com/attachments/health-concerns/14267d1283399695-allergic-reaction-swollen-eyes-hives-dsc_0098.jpg3) http://www.boxerforums.com/attachments/health-concerns/14277d1283562926-allergic-reaction-swollen-eyes-hives-dsc_0878.jpg
If so then your pup may be experiencing an allergic reaction to something. These are hives.The most common cause of sudden facial/lip swelling or red spots and welts (hives) is an allergic reaction.This is usually related to an insect bite or sting. Sometimes we never figure out the cause because the bite/sting is covered up by diffuse swelling.Treatment is avoiding further allergen exposure and stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.Is his breathing and activity level normal?Any vomiting or diarrhea?Any difficulty breathing?You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make him a little sleepy.You can also apply a cool compress to the worst areas and/or give him a cool water bath with an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe his skin. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation and oatmeal reduces inflammation. Lather gently, let it sit for several minutes and then rinse with cool water.And then you'll need to watch him closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.The swelling/redness and hives should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours. In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.Because you know now that he has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.If you notice progression of his symptoms don't wait, have him checked on an emergency basis. If you 'd like you can have his regular vet check him now or in the morning. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if he seems to be doing well then I would just call them and let them know so it is on his record for future reference.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
They look more like blisters then hives. Not like pictures shown. He seems to be acting normal other then the sores on his snout. I'll try the benedryl.
I would give Benadryl a try, sometimes hives can look more blister like if they very close to the nasal leather rather than on other parts of the body.Dogs can get blister-like lesions with autoimmune diseases, like those in the pemphigus family. But they don't normally pop up quickly.If he isn't much better in 24-48 hours then it's time to see his veterinarian.
Do you have any further questions?
Will these possibly travel all over his body? Thank you.
They may, some dogs get them just on one part of the body, whereas others get them on the face initially and then we see it spread to the neck and body.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian