Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy ate normally and now he his having almost hiccups

Customer Question
and its continuous for like...
My puppy ate normally and now he his having almost hiccups and its continuous for like an he or so......
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now we do see hiccups in puppies quite commonly. Often this is linked to eating too fast but generally speaking hiccuping can occur whenever the diaphragm spasms (just as it does when we have hiccups). It is not considered a worry when it develops (even if it lasts a few hours ...which tends to be because dogs don't understand that holding their breath would help and us trying to get them to do so would just cause distress).
Therefore, as long as Argo is comfortable, not vomiting, breathing normally, has no belly distension, and has pink gums; we would just want to dim the lights, keep things calm, give him access to water and let him settle. You can try massaging his chest to help relax the spasming diaphragm muscles or try distracting him with a toy. To avoid this in the future, we'd want to feed him slowly (either dividing his meal into a few smaller meals with breaks in between or use a food ball to slow him down). Finally, just to note, we will generally see them grow out of this habit as they age.
Overall, hiccups are not uncommon in puppies and while the often last longer then they do for us; it is not an overt worry. So, we just need to keep him calm and rested to let this pass. Otherwise, if he has any of those additional signs I noted, they we'd have to consider something more afoot and a check up with his vet would be prudent.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Hi Tim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Argo. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian