Dog Veterinary

Dr. Altman, Hope all is well. My sweet Bella had seizure…

Hi Dr. Altman, Hope all...
Hi Dr. Altman, Hope all is well. My sweet Bella had seizure tonight. She's been having them for the last month or so. She's been to the Vet. They said to keep an eye on it as they aren't terribly severe. This one was worse than the last few. She was panicked and going around in small circles. She kept ... Read full answer
Hi Dr. Altman, Hope all is well. My sweet Bella had seizure tonight. She's been having them for the last month or so. She's been to the Vet. They said to keep an eye on it as they aren't terribly severe. This one was worse than the last few. She was panicked and going around in small circles. She kept biting me as I tried to comfort her. I've seen this in the past, but it went on for longer this time. She's been exhausted for the last hour or so. Her eyes keep closing and she's out of sorts.
4/29/2015
Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.
Dr. Altman is currently offline.
Would you like me to try to help or would you prefer to wait for Dr. Altman when she logs back on?

I would prefer help now, Thank You.

Susan Yezzi

Typically after a seizure, dogs will experience what is called a "post ictal" period during which they are not quite themselves.
Has Bella ever seemed out of sorts after a seizure before? If so, how long did it usually last?
Has your vet ever done any blood work to help rule out some of the potential causes of Bella's episodes?

Yes, she's been slightly out of sorts previously. Didn't last long. This was more difficult for her. The vet did blood work 2 weeks ago after another seizure. Everything seemed to be in order including her Thyroid and any toxicity that may be in her system. They said the only thing that could be done was to watch her and, if she continues to have them, see a neurologist.

Thank you for the additional information.
I am glad to hear that blood work has helped to rule out a good number of possible causes for Bella's seizure activity.
Post-ictal periods are quite common after seizures and their duration does coincide with the severity of the seizure. More significant seizures usually have a longer post-ictal period. These can last anywhere from 5 minutes for milder events to up to a few hours for more serious events.
When seizures are occurring more frequently than once a month, even if they are mild, or are occurring in clusters (one right after the other), it is usually time to consider anticonvulsant therapy.
A consult with a neurologist is not a bad idea and certainly if this is something that you can afford to do, it is recommended.
However, in most cases in a dog of Bella's age, if other underlying metabolic disorders can be ruled out with diagnostic testing, then the diagnosis is usually idiopathic epilepsy. Idiopathic is a fancy way of saying, unknown cause. Idiopathic epilepsy is the most common cause for seizures in dog.
In situations such as hers, it would not be wrong to get her started on anticonvulsant therapy. There are several options for treatment including phenobarbital, potassium bromide, levetericetam, and zonisamide. Each has its own quirks and possible side effects, but the latter two tend to be the best tolerated by most patients.
I recommend that for tonight you continue to monitor Bella. In a half hour or so, offer her a little bit of water and food. She should gradually start to get back to herself over the next couple of hours. If she is not back to normal in a couple of hours, or if she develops other clinical signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, further seizure episodes, etc., then you should have her evaluated.
Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian

Thank You so much. Your answer is truly helpful, comforting and makes complete sense.

Sincerely,

Susan

You're welcome.
I hope that Bella bounces back quickly over the next hour or so.
You should call your vet tomorrow to discuss either a referral to a neurologist or getting her started on anticonvulsant therapy.
Let me know if you have any further concerns.

Thank You so very much. I will do so

Please keep me posted on Bella's progress.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Terramycin ophthalmic ointment contains two antibiotics -
quot;..Terramycin ophthalmic ointment contains two antibiotics - polymyxin B and oxytetracycline .... unless you live in California.." Dr Salkin wrote, I happen to live in California.. this was used a… read more
Veterinarian,
Yesterday Bella my 7 year old standard poodle was fine. She
Yesterday Bella my 7 year old standard poodle was fine. She chases butterfly shadows and was playful. We went to my sister's house around 5pm (my sister has Bella's sister, her name is Roochi). They p… read more
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dog Veterinarian,
Dogs face is swollen and extremely tender, Bella. She is 5,
She is eating well but her energy is not 100% and she keeps opening and closing her mouth in a strange way… read more
Dog Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My dog has a back injury I have her methocarbanol she won't
My dog has a back injury I have her methocarbanol she won't move now … read more
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine,
Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine
My puppy Is a 8 week old female chihuahua and Yorkshire terrier
My puppy Is a 8 week old female chihuahua and Yorkshire terrier mix. She recently was snapped at by a much larger dog and it caused her severe brain trauma and swelling. I immediately took her to the … read more
Dog Veterinarian,
My dog Buddy has been with me years. He wasn't like
My dog Buddy has been with me for three years. He wasn't like other dogs I had, oftentimes 'checked out' by laying on his back (or side) for a few minutes. These things happen every few weeks. Between… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John
Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 15 year old chessie with vestibular problems. She
I have a 15 year old chessie with vestibular problems. She is being given gabapentin !00mg 2 x day for 8 days In addition she has been on 125mg of tramadol 2 times a day for over a year due to artheri… read more
Veterinarian,
Hello, my name is ***** ***** our Lacy, our beloved 13 1/2 year
Hello, my name is ***** ***** our Lacy, our beloved 13 1/2 year old cocker spaniel has had a rough time lately with her health and today we had the worst scare ever. I was searching the web for some p… read more
Dog Veterinarian,
My 2 year old dog ate something outside yesterday. She was
My 2 year old dog ate something outside yesterday. She was fine all afternoon but in the evening vomited. Other than being contrite about making a mess, she was fine. She jumped up on the bed and join… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
Hi Dr. Altman, My old dog, Jack, has been pacing around the
Hi Dr. Altman, My old dog, Jack, has been pacing around the house and whimpering all day. He's eating & doing his business decently. Was outside enjoying the weather much of the day. But seems to be u… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
ive just been biten by a unfamilar dog puncture wound how long
ive just been biten by a unfamilar dog puncture wound how long is it safe to wait to get a tetanus shot?… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
My elderly golden retriever has a very sever yeast infection
My elderly golden retriever has a very sever yeast infection in both ears and is deaf from it. Will antibiotics help help her?… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My 4 year old Yorkie, Chinese crested mix wont eat her food
My 4 year old Yorkie, Chinese crested mix won't eat her food and has been having terrible, smelly gas. She will eat her dog treats in haste, but doesn't seem to even want those. She will smell her foo… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
Hi Dr. Altman,I last spoke with you about a month or so ago
Hi Dr. Altman, I last spoke with you about a month or so ago about my almost 12 yr old half lab half weimaraner Jingles. She has kidney failure. When I last talkes to you, she had been having episodes… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
I think my dog may have had a seizure. She is a 13 year old
I think my dog may have had a seizure. She is a 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She came over to me and one of her eyes was rolled back in her head. She was panting and restless. Finally, she layed d… read more
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Veterinarian,
small dog went out early this am and now is staggering like
small dog went out early this am and now is staggering like sheis drunk. very thirsty, no bite wounds. (she has had run in in the past with a cat). no new plants. she was only in our yard, her gums ar… read more
Veterinarian,
My dog started flopping like a fish- and shes a big girl-
My dog started flopping like a fish- and she's a big girl- and she was freakin out and looked as if she was paralysed- her eyes dialated~ it looked as if she was choking- after my husband held her to … read more
Dr. JD
Dr. JD
veterinarian,
Our 6yr old Alsatian was dx with GME in her cerebellum 2 wks
Our 6yr old Alsatian was dx with GME in her cerebellum 2 wks ago. She kept turning in circles and her head kept twitching. We started her on steroids, cytotoxic treatment and antibiotics and she was i… read more
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Veterinarian,