Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6-year old half-basset/half-blue heeler has not eaten in…

My 6-year old half-basset/half-blue heeler...
My 6-year old half-basset/half-blue heeler has not eaten in two days. He walks with his head down but is not drooling. He seems to be uncomfortable. He has drank water but then he spits it back up. He did take a poot tonight. Tried to feel his stomach but it doesn't feel extended/bloated? Just wondering if there is something else I can try.
11/6/2014
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow isn't feeling well, not eating for 2 days and vomiting even water today.
He is likely dehydrated because he has been vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him until he stops vomiting.
In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes of vomiting include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or, an abdominal mass.
Because he is vomiting even water ideally he would see a veterinarian tonight.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if he's not improving quickly he should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle his stomach.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help settle his stomach and get him feeling better and hopefully get his appetite back. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.
If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it, he needs veterinary care.
But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.
If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hi Pat,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hi Dr. Kara,

Thanks for asking about Rio...we took him to the vet that night I wrote you. He wasn't bloating, but he was a very sick dog. They kept him overnight to get him hydrated and run additional tests. He is not diabetic, nor does he have Cushings. He didn't eat for 5 days at the vet, so we took some boiled chicken and hand fed him. So, he came home with us. However, the next morning, his water bowl was bloody again, and we wrestled his mouth open when a tooth fell out. Took him back to the vet and they said his top two and bottom two (in front) fell out. No one has any idea why that happened. But he's home now and eating chicken, rice, and special can food. Today is the first day he look like his "old self" by playing and running around. So, we are all scratching our head on this one. That goodness he is feeling better.

Pat, thank you for the update on Rio, what a strange chain of events for your fellow.
I am very glad that you had him examined and he was placed on intravenous fluids.
Given your description of what sounds like normal blood tests, yet evidence of nausea and mouth pain I have to wonder if he sustained some sort of mouth trauma. It is possible that he was hit or kicked, or suffered an electrical burn from biting a power cord, or chemical burn from getting into something toxic/caustic which would have made it painful for him to eat and drink and destroyed the tissue around his teeth in front leading to tooth loss.
The good news is that whatever happened he was able to heal with some help and it sounds like he is recovering nicely.
Thank you so much for letting me know how things turned out for Rio, if only he could talk to us I am sure he'd have quite the story to tell.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian