Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Good Afternoon, I have a 7-year-old dachshund that has been…

Good Afternoon, I have a...
Good Afternoon, I have a 7-year-old dachshund that has been treated for several years for what we have always thought was an allergy (worse spring and summer). He would have a breakout of bumps on his stomach, which we have treated with various meds/antibiotics including temaril, predninzone, simplicef, clindamycin and clavomax. However, this past time, he developed not only bumps on his stomach but his nail beds appeared to be impacted as well, itchy and swollen with some brown crusty material on his nails. My vet has worked tirelessly with me (too long to go into tall the details here) and we have eliminated viral, bacterial, fungal and yeast. So we decided to see if it was a food allergy and stopped all food except for Prescription Diet DD (wet and dry) but even after a few days he got worse, all 4 of his feet are now impacted, 2 are swollen and sore at this time. Also now the side of his mouth, under his nose and it is moving up the side of his nose (loosing pigment and also looks in some places like very tiny clear pustules) and his anus seems to be impacted as well, skin around it has turned dark). He is very itchy and has to wear an E-collar when not by my side. My vet has referred him to a first rate excellent teaching vet hospital in the area (Univ of FL – Gainesville) with the ability to biopsy and diagnosis and I have an appt in 4 days. My vet has suggested that he have biopsies done since none of the paths we have taken over the past month have been successful and he is concerned that it might be a kind of pemphigus, which I understand to be an auto-immune disorder of which there are several kinds and we must determine which kind if it is actually this in order to work out the best treatment. Almost everywhere there are mucus membranes he seems to be irritated (although his eyes and ears do not seem to be impacted at this time).
Which leads me to my question, if it is pemphigus and I hurting him waiting the 4 days for the appointment at the vet hospital. Do you think I should take him to the vet hospital emergency room? He is eating, drinking and defecating but I know he is very itchy and no longer likes to take his long walks that he likes because his feat are sore, he defiantly sleeping/resting more than usual. I know he is uncomfortable, when he has his E-collar off and if I am not right there he is licking biting his feet (to where he can make them bleed if I am not there to stop him right away) or rubbing his face in the rug as it itches. Any thoughts would be most welcome.
8/2/2014
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.
As I was reading your description of the signs in your dog I was thinking that this sounds like an autoimmune problem... and then I got farther along and found that your veterinarian is of that mind too.
It does sound like Barney is uncomfortable, but I think you need to wait the 4 days and get the work up done by someone who can do all the tests need and who has experience with this kind of problem. If you go to the emergency vet they are going to want to give him something to make him more comfortable and many drugs, particularly steroids, are going to interfere with the accuracy of any biopsies being done.
Definitely keep doing the soaks, they can help. You can also give Benadryl... It may only provide a tiny relief, but it will not interfere with the biopsies. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions or need clarification, please let me know
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you very much, I appreciate your answer. It is always scary when you start reading about a possible diagnosis and I wanted to make sure I was not causing irreparable damage by waiting. I have to say we tried Benadryl and Claritin and Zertec and none seemed to help, the Zertec maybe a little bit, but the vet hospital wanted all antihistamines stopped for a least a week before the appt so he has not had the Zertec in a few days and is not taking any of them in anticipation of the appt. Thanks again, my vet is out of the country for 3 weeks so it was nice to just be able to express my thoughts and questions and not make an ER trip that might impact the results we are hoping to get in a few days.