Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My schnauzer has a 2-3 cm growth in one anal glan and as a

Customer Question
My schnauzer has a 2-3...

My schnauzer has a 2-3 cm growth in one anal glan and as a result that glan can't be expressed. Aspiration of the growth was inconclusive for cancer. If I don't have it surgically removed ( I can't afford the $2600 charge) and use stool softener for my dog's bowel movements what are the risks to my dog in the future?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/25/2014
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The most significant risk to Pepper would be predicated upon what that growth represents. In most cases we're going to find an anal sac adenocarcinoma which tends to metastasize early in the course of the disease. More than 50% of dogs have metastasis at the time of initial diagnosis. Metastasis to regional (iliac) lymph nodes is common; other sites of metastasis include the lung, liver, and spleen.

Because hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level) occurs in 25-50% of dogs with anal sac adenocarcinoma, it would be prudent to check Pepper's serum calcium level at this time. An anal sac adenocarcinoma is expected to rapidly expand in size and so "watchful waiting" may reveal its presence by its distorting the anatomy of the perirectal area and by Pepper's difficulty defecating. The less commonly found squamous cell carcinoma can also rise from the anal sac (epithelium). This is a less aggressive but still malignant tumor.

I understand your financial constraints. A stool softener is appropriate at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian