Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Maltese cross with red swollen tissue surrounding both eyes.

Maltese cross with red swollen tissue surrounding both eyes. Prescribed clavaseptin and maxitrol. 3 days already and no change.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you. I suspect that the "swollen tissues..." puzzled vets. I believe that you're referring to the conjunctiva - the normaly pink membranes on the inner sides of her eyelids. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Claviseptin is a potent antibiotic. I would have expected improvement by now if a bacterial infection were the primary problem. Maxitrol is a potent antiinflammatory corticosteroid. I would have expected improvement by now if allergic or irritant inflammation were present.

Hence, I suspect a keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS/dry eye) in a Maltese X of her age. This describes a lack of tear production that is addressed with tear substitutes and tear stimulators such as tacrolimus and cyclosporin.

Can you tell me, please, if a Schrimer tear test were performed at her last exam? Was her eye pressure checked and her corneas stained with fluoroscein?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pressure test was not done but her eyes were stained to check for abrasions prior to being prescribed the Maxi tool. ...no abrasions were found.

Thank you...but no Schirmer tear test either? That's the most important of all after reading the history you provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response...I will follow up with my vet.

Sounds good. For now please go to your local pharmacy and pick up a tear substitute. There are many to choose from and any one of them is OK to start with. Cleanse Kaylee's eyes of any discharge with copious amounts of water and then instill the tear substittute every few waking hours.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Kaylee, please?