Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

the saveme boxer last night was breathing very hard - not actually…

the saveme boxer last night...
the saveme boxer last night was breathing very hard - not actually panting but breathing very hard - when you touch his side he would yelp - but he had no visiable sores, cuts, etc - had a rough night seems like it was something internal. Next day he ate and went out side (because we are on 5 acres havene
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2013
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning for Bogart. However, it is very important to try to identify where the pain may be. This type of crying out could indicate primary gastrointestinal pain (but I would expect other signs like vomit/diarreha) or neck/back pain or orthopedic pain. My best recommendation if this pain persists is to have his veterinarian do an examination again to try to determine the source of the pain. He may need a medication other than previcox, which is certainly a great antiinflammatory and pain medication.

Dr. Joey :

If you feel his pain is internal (in his abdomen) then this kind of pain can come from the pancreas being inflamed (pancreatitis), liver or gall bladder disease, kidney infection, abnormal item swallowed and moving through the digestive tract (although usually this is accompanied by gas, vomit or diarrhea) and there are certainly other possibilities. An exam by his vet is a first step, but he will probably need some testing once the location of the pain in identified such as lab work (cbc, chemistry panel, urine check) and xrays.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.