Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog came in from outdoors with a very strong earthy, musky,

non-animal odor, and leaves all...
My dog came in from outdoors with a very strong earthy, musky, non-animal odor, and leaves all over her head like she was rolling in something. She vomitted twice, which smelled worse. She felt better the next day after vomitting, but still has the strong oder primarily under her chin. What could she have gotten into?
11/20/2013
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Ellie.

This is going to be a hard question to answer unless you could find something rotten or partially decomposed in your yard...but this should be quite obvious if something like this is present. Dogs will also roll in and eat mulch/compost which can be toxic to them if it's fermented.

Mushrooms are also something to consider although they don't usually have a strong smell.

I do have a suggestion for helping to remove the smell. This is what I suggest for dogs who have been skunked and it works quite well at removing offensive odors:

Tsp of liquid dishwashing liquid (Dawn is the best choice)
1/4 cup of baking soda
One quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
(Dispose of any left overs..the mixture might explode otherwise)

First, bathe Ellie in Dawn dishwashing soap. Rinse well.
Then use the peroxide mix. Rinse well.
Bathe her again with the Dawn.
Rinse really, really well.

You do want to avoid getting any of the mixture into the eyes (as you would anything not intended for use in the eyes) but it's ok to use around the nose and mouth.

Another option would be Massengill vinegar and water douche--the kind you mix up from a powder. Wash her first in Dawn dish soap--rinse well--apply the douche and let air dry--do not rinse off. You can use a spray bottle and cover the eyes with your hands or a washcloth over the eyes.

Hopefully, whatever she got into/ate is gone now but a close examination of where she tends to spend her time when outside would be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

She has the run of 5 fenced in acres, much of it wooded, so I cant totally rule out something rotton or decomposed, or even animal feces. But I've smelled those things on dogs before, and this is oddly different which is why it is perplexing to me. The vomit had some food in it, I didnt see any plant matter, or bones or anything that looked like she ingested a critter. And she vomitted fairly quickly when she came in smelling.

I used Dawn on her first bath, I'll do that again and follow it with the peroxide/baking soda.

Julie:
I had a feeling that she has quite a large expanse where she could get into trouble:)

Your description of her smell isn't sparking any connections although compost (if fairly decomposed) might.

I'm assuming you know what anal glands smell like, correct? This is usually quite an offensive, rotted-fish smell...not quite what you're describing.

Deb

Maybe she was getting into a pile of decomposing brush. I will keep an eye (and nose :) ) on her.

Thanks so much for your help!

Julie:

You're welcome.

That's definitely a possibility, I think.

Let's hope you don't have to use your nose but keeping an eye on her would definitely be a good idea:)

Good luck, Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Julie:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian